Thursday, July 07, 2005

London: July 7, 2005

Obviously, our minds are on London today -- and not, alas, because of the Olympics. I woke up this morning, turned on the TV, and saw, in an initial state of groggy incredulity, what I think so many of us have dreaded seeing -- even as many of us were preparing for it, expecting it.

Terrorism is now a global phenomenon, but an attack in London is deeply personal to me, just as New York was (Madrid less so, despite how horrendous it was). I'm a Canadian living in Canada, but I also have British citizenship. My family -- my parents, my brother and his family, and my sister -- live over in England, not too far from London, and I've spent a lot of time there over the years. An e-mail from my mother this morning told me they were fine, but everyone asked, friends and colleagues alike, and I spent much of the day following the developing story on the internet, for that seemed far more important than anything else I had to do.

I don't have much to add here, however. Terrorists attacked, people died, and many others were injured. I think we need to let that sink in, and so I'll refrain here commenting on what any of it means or what ought to be done about it or whatever. Besides, there's already so much talk out in the blogosphere -- go see what they're all saying over at TPM Cafe, for example. I'll likely weigh in down the road, but I think it's more important right now to hold back, at least at The Reaction, until I have something to add to the conversation. Talking just for the sake of talking, posting just for the sake of posting, doesn't seem to make much sense, not when the more immediate story is one of loss and suffering.

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • London, England, World...
    our thoughts are with you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home