Wednesday, December 20, 2006

"We're not winning, we're not losing"

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Sure, Mr. President. That's the latest spin, I understand, and it beats the "we're winning" nonsense that you spewed before the midterms, but only your most delusional supporters believe you now. I think I'll take Powell's word over yours. Of course, your spin raises the question of the meanings of "winning" and "losing," but you can't possibly convince me that the meanings of "winning" and "losing," as well as the line between the two, are what you imagined them to be back when you were rushing to war and then celebrating mission accomplished. How can being stuck in a quagmire not be losing?

Regardless, I hear that you want to expand the size of the military for the sake of the Iraq War and that nebulous war on terror. I am tempted to make some obvious quip about the matter of size, but I'll restrain myself. Besides, whatever the size, it's what you do with it, right? And look what you've done with it. Would more make any difference? Not, I'm afraid, with you deciding when and where to shove it in.

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home