Saturday, February 03, 2007

Some of what war looks like

By Heraclitus

Although I am, as most you know, often flip, sarcastic and snarky, when I warn you about the content of this post, and even more about the content of the posts I link to, I am being dead serious. I stumbled across some extremely disturbing, terrifying and nearly vomit-inducing images earlier today, images of bodies mutilated and literally torn apart by the machinery of war. And my goal in this post is not to subject others to the same experience, but to try to say something about them. So, quite seriously, if you don't want to deal with this sort of thing (and, seriously, who could blame you?), don't read any further, because the next paragraph includes a graphic description of a very unpleasant image (I haven't brought any images into this post, for the obvious reason that I have no desire at all to force them on anyone).

This post contains some less than cheering sights. The first, simply horrific, image hits with even greater violence and depth because of the contrast with the only other image you've seen so far, a picture in the sidebar of a beautiful woman, looking down. She appears sad, but there's a soft light falling on the side of her face, and she has lovely, sensual lips. The picture creates a mood of gentle, wistful appreciation of her physical beauty. Then, as you scroll down, you see the first image: a man's severed head, with a smear of blood on the asphalt behind it, the skin of his face ripped off his skull and bunched up on the ground in front of his forehead; if you can force yourself to stare at it long enough, you can make out his nose and mouth. It looks unnatural, to say the least, but more specifically, it looks at first as if his head must be buried, since the line you expect to see drawn down and outward by his face is abruptly broken by the ground. As your eyes adjust and begin to retrace the lines, this time grasping what they are seeing, they run down to where his face or his shoulders should be, and then stop, abruptly. Suddenly you're seized by a shock of realization and horror, as you comprehend what this is.

I had planned to uncork a long spiel citing Pascal on how our reason can be unhinged by a spider, by the site of something moving where it shouldn't be, and quoting Nietzsche on how the impulse to know and comprehend something intellectually is at bottom just a desire to securely fix it and lock it away in this or that category, so that it's no longer uncanny and terrifying. Well, I'll go ahead and quote him:

What is familiar means what we are used to so that we no longer marvel at it, our everyday, some rule in which we are stuck, anything at all in which we feel at home. Look, isn't our need for knowledge precisely this need for the familiar, the will to uncover under everything strange, unusual, and questionable something that no longer disturbs us? Is it not the instinct of fear that bids us to know? And is the jubilation of those who attain knowledge not the jubilation over the restoration of a sense of security?

But going on in this vein seems inappropriate. The tricks that the mind uses to convince you that you aren't and couldn't be the soft and slimy mess of viscera splashed on the ground in a lurid red chaos -- those tricks are interesting and worth exploring, but they seem beside the point here. The more immediate point seems to me to be, as Sileas, the blogger linked to above, says herself in a follow-up post:

Don’t you understand that we must be active? but more than that, don’t you understand that no matter how active the bunch of us are, we can’t really do anything without you… The power lies in the quantity and the quality. That’s how we will make a difference. You can’t just shake your heads when you read the newspaper, feeling sad and condemning the atrocities, but then, going about your day normally. This won’t do. This is how I see it, when you see a man raping a woman, and you stand there with your hands behind your back shaking your head… What difference does it really make? You might as well clap your hands, it won’t matter either way. When you stand there idle, what does it matter if you condemn the atrocious act, you might as well approve, what difference does your inactive condemnation make? Nothing. It just eases your conscience and allows you to sleep better at night, not helpful, it’s selfish.

Some of you will not like the political thrust of these posts (note: as Izzi/Sileas notes in her comment, she is not trying ignore violence against other groups. But I thought I should add the following caveat so as to avoid "Why do you hate America/Israel/the Jews/freedom" comments): what about Israeli victims of suicide bombings? What about American victims of terrorism? What about the Iraqis and other Arabs being killed, not by America or Israel, but by other Arabs in Iraq? I don't really want to argue with that here (the picture I described above is, in fact, of a victim of an al-Qaeda attack in Amman), except to note that there's no question which group of victims receives more media coverage in this part of the world. But my point is more this -- presented with the physical and horrifying reality of war, let's ask the proper question to ask of any crime: Qui bono? Who benefits, and how, and why, and how can they be stopped?

All of this via this blog post by Sabbah (the images of limp, lifeless bodies are less viscerally sickening, but no less uncanny), which was followed by this post, detailing an e-mail exchange between the blogger, Sabbah, and a ham-fisted State Department employee who had written to denounce him. Those of you wondering how the battle for hearts and minds is going may find the latter interesting, though probably not heartening.

Okay... enjoy your Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

10 Comments:

  • First of all, I thank you for saying that I am beautiful.

    In regards to your Nietzsche quote, I have to say that I agree. I have always been fascinated, with human beings fascination with car crashes per example, the bloodier the better, the slower traffic becomes around the car crash because other cars are slowing down to have a look, and the more there is to talk about later on. Man is fascinated with violence, I am almost certain of that. Think of the cheers that the guillotine brought on during the French revolution, think Saddams hanging (most recent incident that I can think of). What’s with the fascination to see him hang in actuality? And here I’m asking about people that have not suffered under Saddams regime… Isn’t it enough just to receive the news of his death?

    But in the case of my post, I used these graphic images for a different reason. It is because I am seriously scared of what is happening in the Middle East, and I live here. These images are like a reminder to what can happen to us any second now. I used these images to try and stir up emotions and a reaction in the people that read my blog, so that they take a stand, and try to be active citizens that speak for humanity and condemn war, because this is what war does. This is the reality of war, why do you shelter people from the reality in the name of politeness? How will they ever know how bad it really gets? Most Arabs, have given up hope in the thought that anything they say or do will influence their governments to make wiser choices. This is a part of world you could be jailed for an opinion that speaks against the government, whichever one it may be, for an indefinite length of time, with no real accusations. People are basically paralyzed with fear, and my attempt was to shock them into activity.

    I have never, in any of my posts, valued the life of a Palestinian or Arab more than that of an American or Jew. In my follow up post, I wrote, “Every child deserves a happy memory in which they look vibrant, healthy and secure… whether that child is Jewish, Palestinian, Iraqi, Lebanese, Afghanistan or American. I cannot help but want to do everything I can to try and secure that. I would rather pursue this, no matter how pointless and impossible it seems to you, rather than sit still, rather than be idle. Don’t you understand that we must be active?”

    I’m sorry for all of the violence and bombings that you mentioned in your post… but you have to understand that these terrorist extremist groups are growing and feeding on the current situation in the Middle East that the Bush administration insists on implementing. I know that it is easy for you to view Palestinians as terrorists, and just be done with it, and take the Israeli side all the way, but I encourage you to read up on that, and you will find that Israel has committed atrocities against the Palestinians… if you think that the images I displayed on my post are unsettling, I don’t know how you will react to what you will find out. Research Rachel Corrie for starters.

    Israel constantly violates United Nations resolutions, continuously uproots Palestinians to build illegal settlements in occupied territories, cuts of electricity, water, and food supplies for the Palestinians, creates the most tense and unlivable situations for the Palestinians, that of course will result in violence, if not against Israelis then within the Palestinians, which you should already know if you are that interested in philosophy. The tense situation in Palestine then creates a tense situation in the middle east, especially within Muslims that feel that Zionism is abusing their Muslim brothers, greedy individuals take advantage of this vulnerable situation to then create extremist fanatical Islamic groups- that really have nothing to do with Islam whatsoever- to blow up other Arab and westerners so that things just get worse and worse. The US could put a stop to all this violence by giving the Palestinians all of their rights in a two state solution, but it does not, it just plays like it doing that on the news, and yet, whenever anyone from the Bush administration visits the middle east to put up the front that they are in negotiations and are active, we paralyze with fear as Palestinians, because we know that this means that Israel is going to increase its attacks. America always uses its veto against the Palestinians even when the whole international world supports them, research this as well, you will find a post that lists all vetoes on my blog.

    In reality, you should really be angry with America because it is funding all of this violence, it is funding Israel and providing it with weapons, which in turn, creates feelings of rage and anger in an Arab towards an American. Not forgetting the oil in the region that just adds to the greedy hands that are creating chaos.

    Where are the weapons of mass destruction that Bush invaded Iraq for? How is Saddams regime related to Al Qaeda? How is Iraq related to the 9/11 bombings, and why did the Bush administration use all of these falsities to give the war in Iraq a false excuse? why did they play with the fear of the Americans so blatantly after the war so that the American people green light such an invasion when most of them don’t even know what the capital of Iraq is? Now these are questions that you need to ask yourself so that you dig a little deeper to find out what the real reason behind the war on Iraq is.

    It really is very simple. Justice = Peace. It all adds up, and it is time for the west to wake up, and give us our rights, we want a real solution. Give the Palestinians justice, why is that so hard to do? What is so difficult about it? Just give them justice. Human rights… that really is all that we are asking for, just our human rights. These graphic images that you saw on my post, it happens to Palestinians every single day, they dodge pools of blood like one dodges puddles of water when it rains…

    I’m a peace advocate. I am against violence, with no exceptions.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:27 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Sam, at 4:13 AM  

  • Hi, Izzi, thanks for reading. First of all, I apologize for misrepresenting your views, and I have tried to correct that in my post. I didn't mean to suggest that you were unconcerned with violence against Americans or Israelis or whomever, and I hope I've made your position clear now. I only added that because, since most of our readers are North Americans, I thought I needed to say something along those lines to avoid comments like, "So, I guess you hate America," or "I see, you're an anti-Semite."

    I actually agree with most of what you say about the Palestinians (and I'm well aware that they're not all terrorist). If it were up to me, there would be a two-state solution (because I really don't think a one-state solution is viable at all), with *no* settlements in the Palestinian state, with full Palestinian control of their borders, and with the water resources in the shared equally. I'd also make Jerusalem an international city.

    I'm also aware that Hamas, for instance, first became a significant force in the occupied territories when Israel started funding them heavily during the first Intifada, in order to lessen the power of the secular leaders of the Intifada. In fact, the first Intifada saw the development of a healthy civil society in Palestine, and that was the time to give them statehood. But Israel thought that they could force them to accept less, autonomy or even less than that, and so brought in Arafat to be their policeman (that's my reading, in any case). So I'm not at all suggesting that the Palestinians are to blame for the conflict, much less that they're all terrorists. But, writing in North America, one has to be careful, otherwise any discussion instantly degenerates into "Why do you hate the Jews? Haven't they/we suffered enough?"

    I'm also sorry if I seemed to be adopting too abstract or academic a tone or attitude toward very real human suffering. I was just trying to express my own immediate reaction to the picture, both so as to be as clear as possible about it myself, and because I thought that was the most honest thing to do. I hope it didn't sound too callous or fatuous.

    And, incidentally, we tend not to be admirers of George Bush or of his foreign policy on this blog.

    Finally--no disrespect to your professor, who I believe you said was one of your favorites, but he was wrong to say that you can't communicate effectively. You're a very eloquent writer.

    Thanks again for reading.

    By Blogger ., at 4:15 AM  

  • I think Izzi said it well, but I must add that war doesn't only cause mutilated bodies and faces, it also mutilate the physiological behaviors of those under occupation and aggression. Wars as you all know are not just about few bombs here and there, it's about control of everything not less than the feelings and behaviors of those being under aggression. These pictures won't show us everything conflicts cause, there are much more uglier pictures of suffering and sense of despair inside each of those who live under war conditions. I think this is more dangerous than a decapitated body, simply because we don't see these inner pictures. A simple example these days is the Palestinian children, if you go to a school in Palestine and look at the drawings the children use to express themselves, it's full of drawings of tanks, soldiers and gunmen and ... this is by far what makes me feel severely concerned and worried about those misfortunate children. Nonetheless, I think Izzi did a good job by exposing just a drop in the ocean of what the "Israeli" and American war machines did for the people in the middle-east, I did not look at the pictures because I simply couldn't, but from your description I imagine how horrifying they are!...

    By Blogger Sam, at 4:18 AM  

  • The pictures are worse than you imagine, I wish I had not looked, but no worse than pictures from any war at any time. I am skeptical of any argument that attempts to take the focus of blame very far from the man who swung the sword, pulled the trigger, lit the fuse or closed the switch. Arguments that stress the evil of palestinians as opposed to the Israelis or vice versa seem all too circular to waste time with. Everyone is guilty enough.

    Whether or not the US could simply engineer a two state solution - and I don't think it could - it would take a leadership unlike any we have had in years; perhaps one that worshiped human life more than its God and that I think is true of all the warring states, factions and sects in this conflict.

    The anti Jewish animosity in Palestine preceded Israel and zionism, in my opinion and the desire to keep non-believers out of the Islamic lands or at least to maintain second class citizenship goes much further back than the 20th century as does the Zionist's claim to divine right to Palestine.

    I'm sure that if by magic, there were an equitable return of land and a peaceful solution, religious leaders would persist in wanting it all and wanting to use any means to get it regardless of who dies. This is a religious war at heart and unless the combatant countries and ethnicities - including the US - rid themselves of their militant religious reactionary elements, there will never be the kind of peace that exists in and between secular nations. People never invoke God as much as when they are about to kill.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 10:56 AM  

  • I'm passing on the photos but this post speaks to my frustration about not being able to do anything more constructive to stop this insanity.

    By Blogger Libby Spencer, at 11:15 AM  

  • Thank you very much for your comment here, Izzi. Your post -- and the photos, which I found deeply disturbing but important given our society's tendency to treat war as a political issue rather than as a human tragedy -- is excellent and, needless to say, has given us all a great deal to think about.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 4:14 PM  

  • Heraclitus: Thank you for replying, I want you to know that I totally understand what you are saying in that you need to add some questions to avoid certain comments from your usual readers, I myself don't do that on my blog, but it does subject me to discussions that divert from the main purpose of the post in which I end up defending// explaining myself and my political views... so I assure you I understand. Thanks a lot for updating the post... After rereading your post, I realize that your post is meant to be philosophical rather than political, so forgive me for being defensive in my previous reply. I’m sure, everything that I have said you were aware of already. I have also had a look around your blog and poked a little here and there, and I’m very happy with what I’m seeing, your blog makes me feel hopeful, please keep up the good work... I hope you guys won't mind that I have added you to my humble blogroll.

    I also agree with Michael that society has to start treating war as a human tragedy rather than a political issue, that's exactly what I have tried to say in my post...

    I would just like to add a note to Capt.Fogg... he says, "The anti Jewish animosity in Palestine preceded Israel and Zionism, in my opinion and the desire to keep non-believers out of the Islamic lands or at least to maintain second class citizenship goes much further back than the 20th century as does the Zionist's claim to divine right to Palestine." I just want you to know that Palestinians and Jews did live peacefully. When my grandmother fled her house in Haifa, her Jewish neighbor promised that she will look over her house until she returns, and though my grandmother has not returned, they remain in touch, and until this day I receive a card from her come my birthday every year even though I never met her.. Also pls don't forget the Christians, they make up a substantial number of Palestinians as well as Arabs, and they have always lived in harmony with Muslims in Palestine, they suffer the same conditions that Palestinian Muslims do... more than that, Palestine celebrates some of the most beautiful churches. The Muslim and Christian Palestinians stand united against Zionism... not all Jews are Zionists, I myself, from the Jews that I have met, regard them be of the kindest and most intelligent people I have conversed with, many of them support the Palestinians.

    Thanks for the encouragement and especially for making me feel better about my writing :)

    Great blog... God Bless.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:35 PM  

  • Hi, Izzi, thanks for adding us to your blog roll; I'm honored. I'm glad I was able to clarify what I was saying. And you should feel good about your writing; you're very talented.

    By Blogger ., at 4:39 PM  

  • Yes, Izzi. Thank you for your kind words. I second Heraclitus's assessment. You are a great writer and you have a great blog. I'll be adding you to our blogroll shortly.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home