Monday, February 05, 2007

Too late, Dick

By Michael J.W. Stickings

From TPM (via HuffPo), former House Majority Leader Dick Armey (R-TX) is having second thoughts about the Iraq War:

The resolution was a resolution that authorized the president to take that action if he deemed it necessary. Had I been more true to myself and the principles I believed in at the time, I would have openly opposed the whole adventure vocally and aggressively. I had a tough time reconciling doing that against the duties of majority leader in the House. I would have served myself and my party and my country better, though, had I done so.

Ah, yes, those Republican revolutionaries. Always sacrificing self, party, and country to the demands of political expediency -- or something like that. Never being true to themselves and their principles. Is there another word for this but cowardice?

As Josh puts it, though: "I think that's farther than Sen. Clinton has been willing to go."

True enough.

**********

You can find the Q&A with Armey here. He says that the Bush presidency has not been "a success in public policy terms". (No, really?) And he thinks Hillary will win in '08. ("She's walking around with a ton of dynamite in her hip pocket.")

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share