Monday, August 27, 2007

Goodbye Gonzales

By Libby Spencer

Well, Gonzales has resigned and of course, everyone is talking about it. I haven't read anything past the headlines and George Bullard, who was pushing Bush's silly meme that poor Fredo was a victim of partisan politics.

I responded briefly, but other than that I don't have a whole lot to say about it at the moment. I didn't really expect it and thus find it suspect. I'm still mulling over what tactical advantage the White House hopes to gain from letting him go at this precise time. Clearly he and Rove both skipped out because the investigations into their criminality are getting too close for comfort, but still, this administration makes every move for political gain.

However, the biggest surprise for me by far is my emotional response to the news of both resignations. I'm glad that they're gone for the good of the country but I'm unexpectedly unelated. Somehow I can't shake the vague sense of having been cheated of the righteous indictments they so richly deserved.

(Cross-posted at The Impolitic.)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • Libby, I, too am struck by how under-whelmed we are about the "big news." In addition to feeling cheated, as you said, I feel an on-going need to just grit my teeth and get through these upcoming months of "Bush World."
    September's [stay or leave Iraq] is going to be an awful thing to watch. I already feel the outcome is inevitable: nothing will change.

    By Blogger Carol Gee, at 6:39 AM  

  • Indeed Carol, I feel weary in a way I never have before. It's still a very long slog to the end of this regime and much damage can yet and probably will be done.

    By Blogger Libby Spencer, at 9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home