Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas


By Libby Spencer

For those of you like me, who didn't get snow for Christmas, here's a little bit of the white stuff to make your holiday bright thanks to my dear friend, John W. Farrell. And I have a charming Christmas story about the kindness of strangers.

I ordered a gift on-line from a company I had never dealt with before that was supposed to come yesterday by priority mail. I had gone down to meet the mailman to spare him the walk up the stairs but the package didn't arrive as promised. I was bummed. That was my most important gift and I needed it for today. But what can you do?

Last night at about 7:30 I was startled by a knock on the door. I don't customarily get unexpected visitors. It was the mailman. He said he had noticed when he finished his run that the package was at the PO. He made a special trip back here on his own time to give it to me. Now that is the true spirit of Christmas and the best present I've received in a long time. It restored my faith in the goodness of my fellow man.

(Cross-posted at The Impolitic.)

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • Libby, what a lovely Christmas story. Perhaps those restorative gifts are what we all seek in the hurley burley of this season. Hope your holidays continue to bring you joy.

    By Blogger Carol Gee, at 8:27 PM  

  • Thanks Carol. Hope your holiday was merry and bright.

    By Blogger Libby Spencer, at 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home