Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Scorched Earth

By Creature

The people on the TV keep telling me Hillary Clinton is playing nice, that she would never harm the party, that kumbaya is right around the corner. I'm not quite sure they are watching the same campaign as I am.

Update: Kvatch in the comments at State of the Day asks: "I admit that I'm not paying as much attention this issue as I should, but I have to ask: What about enfranchising voters--whose only sin was having voted in a state that decided to run afoul of DNC regs--equates to some kind of "scorched earth" policy?"

To which I reply: Because through no fault of Obama's, who played by the rules, he's being made to look like the bad guy and the electoral-well is being poisoned for him come November.

If she was so upset, if she was so concerned about disenfranchising the voters, she should have spoken up when the pledge was being signed before Iowa. No, now, now when she needs it, she pretends to care. She pretends it's some kind of epic, moral battle.

Also, the Hillary Campaign is equating Florida and Michigan with Al Gore in 2000 and, in turn, claiming that if Obama wins it's somehow illegitimate (and this is all based on her popular vote lead lie).

This doesn't even get to the fact that her surrogates are out there saying McCain is not a Bush third term (Blumenthal), and others say that they won't vote for Obama because of his sexism (Ferraro).

It's all bunk and it's all sour grapes. If she can't win, she's going to ensure Obama can't either. To me that's scorching the earth Obama runs on.

(Cross-posted at State of the Day.)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • You know... if you're going to use my comment as the basis of an entire scree on the Michigan and Florida delegate situation, at least do me the courtesy of including the entire comment. Taken in context, mine was an honest question from a person whose not been keeping up on that particular debate.

    So now that you've had your tantrum, the question remains: Setting aside Clinton's shenanigans: Should the Florida and Michigan delegates be counted or not? If not, why not? And please avoid some flippant, disingenuous response like, "Because that's the agreement." Nonsense like that--whether it comes from Obama, Clinton, or the DNC leadership--is what causes voters to want to stay home, just a surely as if some Diebold AccuVote machine had switched one's vote from Obama to McCain.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:38 PM  

  • Creature, I appreciate your taking the time to do the correction above.

    I suppose that this whole Clinton/Obama debate brings out the worst in us all. Godness knows I've written about it a few times on Ragebot and gotten flamed right down to my asbestos shorts for my trouble. My opinion is that the rancor between the sides of the Democratic party is putting us at terrible risk for the general election. We better make common cause soon.

    No hard feelings.

    K.

    (BTW: My email should have been part of the Wordpress comment notification at SotD. Regardless it's: kvkopf AT GEEmail.com.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:30 AM  

  • By Blogger Unknown, at 5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home