Saturday, September 06, 2008

My dinner with Fox

By Capt. Fogg

O most pernicious woman!
O villain, villain, smiling, damnèd villain!
My tables—meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain

-- Hamlet

__________

I had dinner with some boating friends Thursday evening. All retired engineers with advanced degrees who have had important careers. It's probably safe to guess that they are intelligent. All couldn't resist telling me how terrible it was the way the media were treating Poor Little Sarah and wasn't it unforgivable that the liberals were sending planeloads of people to Alaska to dig up "dirt" on Poor Little Sarah. Wasn't the courage and poise of Poor Little Sarah just remarkable? Didn't she tell the liberals off?

I managed to mumble something about the dozen papers I read every day gushing nearly as much as the stadium full of drunken delegates did and that the only thing she really told was a pack of lies. Isn't a convincing liar more dangerous than a bumbler? I don't know how much more I can take. Of course to cite any source, verifiable or otherwise other than Fox is to provoke the hands over the ears Liberaliberaliberal chant. It reminds me very much of the films I used to watch as a psychology student before I decided dealing with the insane wasn't for me.

Of course, FactCheck.org and AP have shown in detail that virtually every word from this campaign has been a lie, whether it's been to praise their own wonderfulness or to decry the perfidy of the Democrats. FactCheck.org
has a summary of what John has been slinging, and I earlier referenced an AP summary of Poor Little Sarah's flim-flam, but at this point perhaps there's no point in bothering. If it's coming from the Republicans, it's a lie, and, besides, all the proof in the world will not affect the programming of the possessed and the demented voters. It might as well be true anyway.

It's not so much the whoppers I worry about, it's the little things, the little embellishments and half truths that cement the whole into one huge concrete crock. Take McCain's swooning praise for the governor who put the executive jet up for sale on eBay and made a profit. Yes, that's the same Poor Little Sarah who left Wasilla with a $3000 per capita debt when she slithered into the governorship. But you have to admit it sounds great even though it isn't true. It
failed to sell on eBay and was sold through a broker at a loss.

There is a difference between a profit and loss. A president should know what the difference is.

Of course ,there's a difference between the truth and "truthiness," as Colbert would call the plausible but untrue little statements. The would-be president probably knows it and apparently doesn't care.

Watch that smile!



(Cross-posted from Human Voices.)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

  • Oh, Fogg, if it weren't for you, how would ANY of us EVER know the truth?!

    Relax. Have a drink. Don't be so edgy and nervous. This election is a win-win for you. If Obama wins, you get to gloat for about a year, until you realize nothing has changed. OR, McCain and poor little Sarah will win, and you can have 3-6 livid, frothing at the mouth posts per day! Is this a great country or what? Ooops, polls tightening. Americans dumb. May elect McCain. ALL MY CIVIL RIGHTS ARE GONE! WHITHER? WHITHER? WHITHER?

    Your worst nightmare come true - FEMALE candidate on a national ticket who has the NERVE to be conservative. Oh dear, Fogg, only 60 days, or so, to the election, but now you've got more work to do!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:21 PM  

  • You know, I'm in a good mood today since it seems hurricane Ike will miss me, so I won't call you a dishonest and pompous little asshole.

    The only foam I saw today was in the beer I had sitting with my feet up on the stern railing. Maybe the bubbles in my pool count too?

    Are you the only dimwit above the age of 7 still trying the "you're wrong because you're angry" gambit? Most of us give that one up by the time we get our permanent front teeth.

    Yes, she's female - no problem. No, she's not conservative, she's an uninformed, science hating mediocrity of a religious fanatic with an honesty problem.

    You on the other hand have an English problem, or is it just lack of cognitive function? you just snicker on, spouting your brainless doctrine without having a clue as to what the words mean, don't you? Sorry, loser, you can mock your betters all you like but you're still a loser.

    Hell, I take it back, you are a pompous asshole and a stupid, half baked twit who hates my country and everything good in it.

    I actually hope your party wins - it won't affect me if we have another depression and I think it would be worth it just to watch you suffer for your own jealous, childish, ignorant and deeply stupid actions.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 6:56 PM  

  • Fogg - let's say you're 100% right - just for argument's sake. Regardless, you cannot write what you do and not be EXTREMELY angry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:31 PM  

  • You cannot write as you do without being extremely dull. I'm only saying that because calling someone stupid before noon wouldn't be polite.

    Passionate patriotism is what I call it, but insisting that you know my emotional state is a pathetic attempt to deflect any argument away from the facts toward something you think you can control.

    If you really need someone to condescend to, perhaps you should buy a dog. Yes, I know, but the dog won't tell anyone.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home