Saturday, January 10, 2009

The talent of Anna Nalick

By Michael J.W. Stickings

I've long been a sucker for (er, fan of) female singer-songwriters -- Sarah McLachlan (whom I once met and in whose presence I was a blithering idiot), Shawn Colvin, Vienna Teng, Patty Griffin, Thea Gilmore, Sheryl Crow, Michelle Branch, Lisa Loeb, Dar Williams, Emm Gryner, Vanessa Carlton, Aimee Mann, Melanie Doane, Tara MacLean, Kim Richey, etc. -- and one of the better ones I've come across in the past few years is Anna Nalick (official site here), whose 2005 debut, Wreck of the Day, featuring the hit "Breathe (2 AM)," was stunningly mature, featuring great lyrics and a well-developed pop sound with a decided edge to it. (Her second album will hopefully come out this year -- an EP with the song "Shine" was released last year.) And, yes, it helps that she's extremely attractive. (I'm a guy -- what can I say?)

Here, below, are the video for "Breathe (2 AM)" and an acoustic performance of "Wreck of the Day." Enjoy.



Labels:

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • What's odd though is that she seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. There is nothing on her official website since June'08 and she hasn't logged in to her MySpace page since September'08.

    A google search reveals nothing. Not a peep!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:09 PM  

  • You're right, Glenn. I noticed that, too. I wonder what's up? She's obviously an extremely talented songwriter and singer. It would be nice to know what's going on.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 1:27 PM  

  • I only recently heard Anna's music and I was so struck by her talent. I have wanted to hear more but, like you, I can't find out anything. Perhaps she has moved on..if so I wish her all the best. I sure would love to hear more of her outstanding music, though.

    By Anonymous Donna, at 3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home