Friday, August 14, 2009

Krugman's talking to me

By Creature

Paul:

"I am in this race because I don’t want to see us spend the next year re-fighting the Washington battles of the 1990s. I don’t want to pit Blue America against Red America; I want to lead a United States of America.” So declared Barack Obama in November 2007, making the case that Democrats should nominate him, rather than one of his rivals, because he could free the nation from the bitter partisanship of the past.

Some of us were skeptical. A couple of months after Mr. Obama gave that speech, I warned that his vision of a “different kind of politics” was a vain hope, that any Democrat who made it to the White House would face “an unending procession of wild charges and fake scandals, dutifully given credence by major media organizations that somehow can’t bring themselves to declare the accusations unequivocally false.”

So, how’s it going?

Not well, Paul. Not well at all. I put myself in the camp that thought things would be different under an Obama administration. Way back when, I looked at Hillary and thought: Please, not another Clinton in the White House. I can't relive the 90s. I can't relive the crazy.

We are reliving the 90s, only more so. I guess I should have known better. If I had to do it again, I'd still support Barack Obama, but if my crazy radar had been working better, Hillary would have gotten a longer look.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home