Friday, December 04, 2009

Craziest Republican of the Day: Tom Coburn


For saying this:

We need to start over. We need to fix what's really wrong in health care and we need to protect what's really great. What's really great is if you're really sick anywhere in the world, this is the best place to be sick, it just costs too much.

Tell that to the millions of Americans who have no insurance at all, or who are denied treatment by their HMOs, or who are drowning in debt because of those high costs of care, or who have to make choices between health care and, say, food.

If you're poor and sick, and even if you have somewhat decent coverage, it's not so "great" to be sick in America.

Or, Senator, are these people -- millions and millions of your fellow Americans, all so far beneath you on the socio-economic scale -- supposed to take comfort in the excellent care that you and the privileged oligarchy are able to access whenever you need? Is this supposed to make them proud of their country, a country that has largely abandoned them, with a political class, your class, that doesn't give a shit?

You know what? Fuck you, Tom Coburn. Fuck... you.

I lived in the U.S. for many years and I was one of the privileged. When I needed care, I got maybe the best care in the world. I saw it up close. When I was in high school, I had a fairly serious operation, and then also a follow-up one. My doctor was exceptional. There were no waiting times. And it was all quite amazing. But how did I come to receive such care? Because my family, though my father's work, had incredible coverage. And I don't for a second take that for granted.

I now live in Canada, where we have excellent care through a government-run single-payer system (but with private insurance as well, for many).

But should I oppose health-care reform in the U.S. just because my own experiences were so positive? That seems to be what Coburn is saying: The system is great, the care is great, we just need to bring costs down a bit.

And how do you propose to do that, Senator, if all you want is to reinforce the status quo by keeping health care in the hands of private insurers and profiteering drug companies?

It "just" costs too much? That's it? That's the only problem? Not the fact that millions and millions hardly have any access to decent care at all, and certainly not to the sort of quality care you and your fellow congressmen get?

Fuck you.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home