Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Gays in the military and the vulnerability of homophobic men (not)

By R.K. Barry

One of my absolutely favourite experiences has long been listening to gay-bashing masquerade as a concern by heterosexual men that they will be hit on by gay men.

The is almost always expressed by some of the most obnoxious, mouth-breathing morons, which would suggest to me that they need not be all that concerned.

I was reminded of this recently when I read that a conservative Republican delegate to the Virginia House of Delegates, Bob Marshall, will introduce a measure that would ban practicing homosexuals from serving in the state's National Guard. His claim is that openly gay soldiers would distract straight troops, commenting that, "[i]t's a distraction when I'm on the battlefield and have to concentrate on the enemy 600 yards away and I'm worried about this guy whose got eyes on me."

I am not gay and can't speak from direct experience, but I have never been particularly attracted to women who are openly hostile to my core values or significant aspects of my identity. Is there something difficult to understand about this?

No, Mr. Marshall, I think you're safe, as are all the other homophobic jackasses who express concern that gay men will find you irresistible. Has that every really happened to you? Ever? I didn't think so.

(Cross-posted to Lippmann's Ghost.)

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • I am not gay and can’t speak from direct experience

    Well, I am, and I can. All of the guys who are worried about getting hit on by gay men are in no danger whatsoever. We have our standards -- physical and intellectual -- and these homophobes never measure up... any sense of the term. ("Huh; looks like a penis, only smaller.")

    By Blogger Mustang Bobby, at 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home