Sunday, July 17, 2011

"Woman of Labrador" by Figgy Duff

Music on Sunday @ The Reaction


In a little less than two weeks I will be on my way to Labrador, which is, of course, a part of Newfoundland and Labrador. If you are in the U.S. and don't know a great deal about Canadian geography, get a map, go to the east coast of Canada, find the island of Newfoundland and then go more or less north until you hit Labrador.

My wife was born in a small town in Newfoundland and then relocated to Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador as a child. Her father worked at the U.S. military base there, which may be the only reason I had ever heard of the place growing up in the U.S. It was a stop along the way for American soldiers who had to cross the Atlantic Ocean and in that context I'm fairly sure I'd heard it mentioned now and again.

So, I will be there soon. I am assured it is a beautiful place with breathtaking landscapes. I'm sure that's true. My wife will arrive a week before me for what they call a come home week, which should be pretty self-explanatory. I'm looking forward to it.

The song featured below is called "Woman of Labrador," which is an absolutely haunting tune written by Andy Vine. I know very little about him except that he is still working as a musician on the west coast of Canada and is best known for having written this song.

The performance is by a legendary Newfoundland group called Figgy Duff, with Pamela Morgan on vocals.


(Cross-posted at Lippmann's Ghost.)

Labels: , , ,

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

  • Barry: As an American, of course you understand that sooner or later we will incorporate Canada. So keep your eyes peeled for all things which might lend themselves to the success of that inevitable invasion-- military installations, roads, waterways, etc.

    Good luck, and God bless....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:13 PM  

  • Thanks for the heads up. It does get pretty cold up here. Are you sure you'd want us?

    By Blogger Richard K. Barry, at 7:16 PM  

  • "Are you sure you'd want us?".

    Us? As in, "Us, the Canadian people"?

    If so, sir, you were flying under a false flag. I assumed I was addressing an American patriot.

    Still, I'll do my best to protect you when we take over. Why? No reason, really. I guess I'm just a typically decent American, as willing to cull an execution list as Dick Cheney.

    Until that day, God bless, and enjoy your vacation.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:16 PM  

  • As someone who lives in HVGB I say GOOD LUCK on your trip and welcome to the goose when you get here!! Be sure to come over and check out Them Days magazine (where I work) which is a Labrador magazine/archives. (I have a google alert set for anything Labrador so thats how I found you)

    Sarah Michaud
    Editor
    Them Days Magazine
    www.themdays.com
    http://themdays.wordpress.com

    By Blogger Seeker, at 2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home