Sunday, December 25, 2011

Un-Christmas 2011: Get this kid off me before he pisses on me


Sorry, I've been so busy waging war on Jesus and Santa today that I'm only now getting to the blog. It's tough out there, what with all the Christianists shoving their bullshit down our throats.

Isn't that we liberals are supposed to say?

Actually, no. There's no war on Christmas. We just happen to respect difference and diversity enough not to be a bunch of arrogant pricks when it comes to our dominant religious holidays.

And, personally, I like Christmas a lot, even if my Christmas has zero Christ in it. It's a wonderful time for my family, and the traditions I grew up with I'm now passing on to my own children.

And if I'm at "war" with anyone -- hyperbole, to be sure -- it's with the right-wing fanatics, like the morons at Fox News, who seek to impose their (usually hypocritical) moralism on everyone and who make up all this "war on Christmas" bullshit to begin with.

Anyway, enough of that. I really do wish all my friends and family, including my wonderful co-bloggers here at The Reaction and all my friends throughout the blogosphere, as well as all of you, our readers (I cannot thank you enough for visiting us, and I hope you keep coming back), a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

Be safe, and be good to one another.

**********

A few weeks ago, we posted a clip from what one of our contributors thinks is the best Christmas movie ever, Christmas Vacation. Well, my own pick for that title is Bad Santa, or rather the extended version of that hilarious movie, Badder Santa. Okay, it's not exactly the most sentimental pick. I suppose if sentiment were involved I'd go with, oh, say, Die Hard, or maybe Home Alone. But it's the funniest and best. (Sorry, the highly-overrated It's a Wonderful Life. I like Capra a lot, but not this one. I much prefer another Jimmy Stewart Christmas movie, The Shop Around the Corner. Lovely and charming. Actually, Elf is pretty funny, too. I'm watching it as I write.)

Here are a few clips. Enjoy.



Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • The problem I've always had with many "Christians" is that they take Christ's message of peace, love, forgiveness, charity, helping the poor, etc. and they twist it around into a belief system that is composed of bigotry, intolerance, and frankly, a lot of stuff that is nowhere to be found in the Bible.
    Although I'm not a Christian, I do find much to admire about the Amish people. Like Christ, they renounce all violence and they refuse to participate in any wars. It's a shame that more Christians aren't like that, instead of bigoted, jingoistic, war-loving, hypocrites at Fox "News."
    Merry Christmas, everyone.

    By Blogger Marc McDonald, at 10:42 PM  

  • Very true Marc, but it isn't new. It's been going on for nearly 2000 years and history is my best argument for saying religion doesn't necessarily make us better or at least not as often as we make religion worse. Our history might have been less bloody at times if we hadn't all had God on our side.

    By Blogger Capt. Fogg, at 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home