Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Newt gets Palin's endorsement... sort of... well, not really... but maybe...


As she told Hannity:

I can tell you what I would do if I were a South Carolinian... If I were a South Carolinian though, and each one of these primaries and caucuses are different, Sean, I want to see this thing continue because iron sharpens iron. Steel sharpens steel. These guys are getting better in their debates. They are getting more concise. They are getting more grounded in what their beliefs are and articulating what their ideas are for getting America back on the right track and getting Americans working again. If I had to vote in South Carolina order to keep this thing going, I would vote for Newt and I would want it to continue. More debates, more vetting of candidates.

So it's a qualified endorsement, at most. Unlike Todd, Sarah isn't decidedly pro-Newt, but clearly he's generally to her liking -- likely more than Romney is:

I do think that Newt is the one that won the debate if you will, because Newt came out like South Carolina's own Smokin' Joe Frazier. He came out there swinging, talking about work, talking about jobs and work ethic and how government needs to get out of the way in order for all Americans to have a sense of opportunity to work, and I think that's what a lot of voters have been craving to hear.

So why not just endorse him already? Doesn't she have, or think she has, significant influence over the Republican electorate, and specifically over the right-wing base? Why not give poor Newt the boost he needs to emerge as the clear anti-Romney, particularly as he's calling Santorum and Perry to get the hell out?

Can't she play kingmaker for once?

Oh right, she can't. Because, unlike the media, Republicans really don't pay her that much attention.

Labels: , , , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home