Thursday, April 05, 2012

Joe Scarborough knows a lot of pessimistic Republicans

By Richard K. Barry

I watch Morning Joe every day. It's a part of my daily ritual. I generally only have time to sit through about 45 minutes before I have to head off to work. I must say, I have mixed feelings about Joe Scarborough, the main host of the show. I think we're all supposed to be impressed that MSNBC, the "liberal" network, has this right-winger carrying so much water for the station. Take that, "fair and balanced" Fox!

Every now and then, I'll admit, Joe can be pretty entertaining, especially when he takes on Republicans for being flat out crazy or when he articulates views that might be self-evident but which would likely not be uttered by most conservatives.

Such was the case when Joe offered that "no one" in the GOP establishment believes Mitt Romney will beat Barack Obama in the general election.

Just in case you can't open the attached clip, this was his comment:

Nobody thinks Romney's going to win. Let's just be honest. Can we just say this for everybody at home? Let me just say this for everybody at home. The Republican establishment--I've yet to meet a single person in the Republican establishment that thinks Mitt Romney is going to win the general election this year. They won't say it on TV because they've got to go on TV and they don't want people writing them nasty emails. I obviously don't care. But I have yet to meet anybody in the Republican establishment that worked for George W. Bush, that works in the Republican congress, that worked for Ronald Reagan that thinks Mitt Romney is going to win the general election.


It's hard to argue with someone's claim that they have yet to speak to a single person with a particular characteristic who believes something to be true or not true. In Joe's case, he's either making it up, hasn't talked to a lot of Republicans about the matter, or the GOP leadership honestly believes it is truly screwed. Maybe he's just exaggerating to make a point. It's got to be one of those.

Don't me wrong. I think the way things look now Obama is going to win. It's just that so much can happen between now and November that I'm having a hard time believing the Republican establishment is quite that pessimistic.

I suppose it makes for good television.

Apparently, Mark Halperin, a semi-regular on the show, said that Romney "might" win and that he didn't totally agree with Scarborough's take.

That makes for somewhat less good television, but it's a more credible assessment. Let's not get too cocky here.





(Cross-posted at Lippmann's Ghost.)

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home