Wednesday, June 27, 2012

This day in music - June 27, 1998: Anne Murray, Gordon Lightfoot, and Bryan Adams are honoured on the Canadian Walk of Fame


William Shatner's "star":
Yes, he's one of us.
Anne Murray, Gordon Lightfoot and Bryan Adams were the first pop music stars to be so honoured on the Canadian Walk of Fame on King Street in Toronto, which had its original class in 1998. I live in Toronto. I have walked along King Street many times. I've seen the stars on the sidewalk. Exciting, I know.

If you are ever in Toronto and want to find the site, it consists of maple leaf-like stars imbedded in 13 designated blocks' worth of sidewalk in front of Roy Thompson Hall, The Princess of Wales Theatre and The Royal Alexandra Theatre on King Street as well as Simcoe Street.

Currently there are 137 Canadians on the Walk of Fame including "athletes; coaches; actors, directors, writers and producers of movies, television and stage; singers,songwriters and musicians; playwrights; authors; comedians; cartoonists and models."

In truth, I suspect most Canadians don't pay a lot of attention to it. Canadians are like that. They don't like to make a fuss.

But it gives me an excuse to post a Gordon Lightfoot tune, which I don't think I've ever done. Here's "If You Could Read My Mind." What a beautiful song. Canadians do music very well.


(Cross-posted at Lippmann's Ghost.)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home