Friday, December 21, 2012

Colin Edwin and Jon Durant: Burnt Belief

By Michael J.W. Stickings


Today marks the release of the album Burnt Belief, an instrumental collaboration between Australian-British bassist Colin Edwin (notably of Porcupine Tree fame) and American guitarist Jon Durant.

Thanks to the good people at Fresno Media, who no doubt discovered me from my frequent blogging about Porcupine Tree (my favourite band not counting Pink Floyd), I was sent an advance digital copy of the album earlier this week and have spent much of the past couple of days listening and re-listening to, and contemplating, what is a really wonderful piece of music from start to finish.

I had been hoping to put up a comprehensive review today, but various things are preventing me from doing that. I should have it up over the weekend, once I have more time to give it serious thought. And besides, this is not an album that one can absorb quickly and then largely forget. It's instrumental, with no vocals at all, but also profoundly intellectual. Its release was timed specifically to coincide with the end of the Mayan calendar -- which of course does not mean the end of the world, just a return to the beginning -- and it examines the conflict between science and religion.

No, this isn't just background music, which is what we often expect of instrumentals. This is music that captivates you, that engages you, and that rewards patience and reflection.

You can stream the album at Prog magazine. Below is a teaser clip at YouTube. And, again, I'll have my full review up soon. In the meantime, enjoy!

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home