Thursday, December 27, 2012

Everything old is new again - JD McPherson

By Richard K. Barry

In my never-ending quest to figure out what people are listening to "these days," I was recently checking out the Americana Music Association (AMA) website. Okay, maybe I don't care about Top 40 or Grammy winners, but, rather, good music that people might be listening to.

The AMA lists the top 100 Americana Albums of 2012 and at the top is a guy by the name of JD McPherson with an album called Signs and Signifiers. Not that I had never heard of him, but maybe I didn't realize he was doing so well. 


It sounds like rockabilly and old fashioned R&B to me. Not that I haven't always loved that stuff, but it's hardly new. None of that matters, I guess, but it does make me smile.


Here's a cut called "North Side Gal." Good stuff. 




(Cross-posted at Hogtown Hipster)

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • re:
    >>Not that I haven't always loved
    >>that stuff, but it's hardly new

    Many rock stars will openly admit that they ripped off their ideas from earlier artists. The Beatles openly admitted they ripped off the likes of the Everly Brothers and Buddy Holly.
    However, The Beatles took their influences and added something new and original to them. In some cases, their art even outshined that of their influences.
    Contrast that to today's music artists. Today's artists rip off the past---but their art is inferior to the originals. I mean, Green Day is just a vastly inferior, watered-down version of The Clash and The Buzzcocks.
    I think this is a big part of the reason why most pop music is utter crap these days.
    There are a few vaguely interesting artists, like Radiohead out there (although I can't imagine why anyone would listen to them as opposed to the great electronica/IDM artists on Britain's Warp label that Radiohead openly admit to ripping off).

    By Blogger Marc McDonald, at 1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home