Saturday, January 05, 2013

Best song of 2012: "Savage With Barometer" by North Atlantic Oscillation

By Michael J.W. Stickings

Tomorrow I'm going to put up a post on my favorite music of 2012.

First, though, I want to post the video of one of my favorite songs of 2012, the amazing "Savage With Barometer" by the Scottish band North Atlantic Oscillation (lyrics here).

It's from NAO's outstanding second album, Fog Electric -- released by Kscope, which dedicates itself to "post progressive sounds."

I'll have more to say about NAO tomorrow. In the meantime... enjoy!

(By the way, other candidates for my favorite song of 2012 include "Hero" and "The Stairs" by Family of the Year, "All the Wars" by The Pineapple Thief, "Bow Your Head" by Anna Ternheim, "Phoenix" by Antje Duvekot, and "Try" by P!nk.)

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

3 Comments:

  • I agree that this song is really good. But what I am often reminded of (and again here) is just how consistent your tastes are. You are a more complete Pink Floyd fan than anyone I know.

    By Anonymous Frankly Curious, at 11:11 PM  

  • Well... thank you. I take that as a compliment.

    There's no doubt that I like post-prog like Porcupine Tree in large part because it's a lot like Pink Floyd. Or, rather, it's no coincidence that I like all of this music, from Floyd to NAO and current post-prog bands, given the similarities. Yes, I'm consistent.

    My 2012 favorites post will include some decidedly non-prog stuff, though, I assure you.

    By Blogger Michael J.W. Stickings, at 12:38 AM  

  • I meant it as a compliment! And I wasn't trying to pigeon hole you. The music on this site is pretty varied and that isn't just due to Richard. Unlike most sites, I actually hear new stuff here. I will admit, I'm stuck in a rut. I tend not to pay attention to much past 1960--and mostly 1940. But I'm am constantly amazed at just how great music is today, as long as you turn off the TV and go to a club.

    I am looking forward to your year in music.

    By Anonymous Frank Moraes, at 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home