Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hillary Watch 2016: The Secretary of State and "the question"

By Richard K. Barry

Politico conducted a fun little exercise that takes comments Hillary Clinton has made over time that mostly state clearly she would not run for the presidency. And then -- surprise, surprise -- as she is about to exit her role as secretary of state, they show how she is beginning to equivocate. 

In the January 27 interview on 60 Minutes, she said this about a potential run:

I think that, you know, look, obviously the president and I care deeply about what's going to happen for our country in the future. And I don't think, you know, either he or I can make predictions about what's going to happen tomorrow or the next year.

I don't know what universe other people inhabit, but in mine you don't publicly talk about wanting your boss's job while he or she is still your boss. So Hillary's tenure is over, and she feels more comfortable not categorically denying her interest in the top job. 

I've said before that I don't think she knows what she wants to do yet. I suspect she'll take some time to see how private life feels and how much she misses the game. But there was no way while doing the job she was doing the past four years she was ever going to signal her interest in the presidency. 

And, yes, it is interesting to see her finally not deny the obvious, that she doesn't know what the future will bring. Who does?

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home