Friday, February 22, 2013

Jon Huntsman supports marriage equality

By Richard K. Barry


Difficult to know precisely what to make of Jon Huntsman's statement of support for marriage equality. I don't doubt that he is sincere, it's just that I don't think the Republicans Party is anywhere close to where he is or that it gets him any nearer the GOP presidential nomination the next time, if that is his interest. 

Writing in The American Conservative, he encouraged others in the GOP to share his views:
Today we have an opportunity to do more: conservatives should start to lead again and push their states to join the nine others that allow all their citizens to marry. I've been married for 29 years. My marriage has been the greatest joy of my life. There is nothing conservative about denying other Americans the ability to forge that same relationship with the person they love.

I disagree with Jon Huntsman on many things, but I will simply say that his comments here show real leadership and I am impressed. 

And although I would never vote for him for other reasons, my sense is that it will be very hard for the GOP to recapture the White House as long as someone with his intellectual integrity is considered toxic by the party. 

Labels:

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home