Sunday, February 24, 2013

Never too old, but frequently too lazy

By Richard K. Barry


I simply must mention this. The Press-Telegram in Long Beach, California is reporting that the world's oldest marathon runner ran his last race on Sunday at the age of 101. 

Yes, Fauja Singh finished a 10-kilometre road race in Hong Kong in 1 hour, 32 minutes, 28 seconds. 

Singh became the oldest man to run a full marathon in Toronto in 2011 at the age of 100. The best part is that he ran the London Marathon, his first, in 2000 at the age of 89.

I have run competitively on and off for years, but was discovering that it was becoming harder and harder on my knees. I  am, truth be told, just a smidge over half as old as Mr. Singh. I'm just a little embarrassed, but not enough to lace up the runners again. 

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home