Monday, August 26, 2013

Those wacky conservatives

By Richard K. Barry

Here's a bit of an oddity as we approach the end of summer. It seems that a number of high profile conservatives think they have found a new hero in actor Ashton Kutcher for his recent comments on the virtues of hard work.

Speaking at the Teen Choice Awards Kutcher made statements such as, "I believe that opportunity looks a lot like hard work," and
I've never had a job in my life that I was better than. I was always just lucky to have a job. And every job I had was a steppingstone to my next job, and I never quit my job until I had my next job.

From my perspective these seem like entirely reasonable things to believe and say no matter your political persuasion. In fact, Mr. Kutcher is known to be a liberal having supported President Obama and Democrats generally last year.

What is interesting, however, is the assumption on the parts of Sarah Palin, Ted Cruz, Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck, all of whom praised Kutcher's comments, that his remarks are indicative of a conservative political philosophy.  It's still about makers and takers for these people and if you aren't a card carrying Republican or aren't predisposed to vote for the GOP, you obviously have your hand out and wouldn't know a hard day's work if it bit you in the ass, etc., etc.

Couldn't possibly be a liberal or progressive unless you intend to coast on the hard work of others.

And all those people working three jobs to feed their families really are, or ought to be, Republicans, if only they knew their own best interests.

Bookmark and Share

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home