Monday, December 09, 2013

Gingrich defends his praise for Mandela

By Richard K. Barry

Having made positive statements about Nelson Mandela upon his passing, Newt Gingrich received significant criticism from fellow conservatives who continue to view Mandela as a terrorist, or something of the kind. A public statement and video appeared on Gingrich's website as a response to his critics.  The full statement is also linked below. 

I'd say Gingrich's response speaks for itself and he deserves credit for saying what he said. I wonder, however, how often the United States has found itself on the wrong side of wars and conflicts for the sake of national liberation, and how easily Gingrich's comments could be applied in those cases as we look back over the course of history.

Gingrich:
Yesterday I issued a heartfelt and personal statement about the passing of President Nelson Mandela. I said that his family and his country would be in my prayers and Callista’s prayers.

I was surprised by the hostility and vehemence of some of the people who reacted to me saying a kind word about a unique historic figure.

So let me say to those conservatives who don’t want to honor Nelson Mandela, what would you have done?

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • for some reason he is only great to the African American side of the population.just one question why is America/our government giving him open praise and worship when they don't give praise to our own God/Jesus/YHWH???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home