Friday, May 23, 2014

The awesomeness of Ryan Shazier, new Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker

By Michael J.W. Stickings 

I haven't done much blogging recently -- well, any. Not in well over a week. I've just had a lot on the go and haven't had any time to write. But I hope you've been checking in, as we've had some content from Carl and Capt. Fogg, and I'll get back to it soon.

In the meantime, how about some FOOTBALL???!!!

My beloved Steelers took Ohio State LB Ryan Shazier in the first round (15th overall pick) of the recent NFL draft. It was something of a surprise to the very many of us who were expecting a WR or CB, two positions of glaring need, but upon reflection it made perfect sense. This guy is simply an awesome player who will bring lightning speed and a huge football IG, not to mention maturity, professionalism, and leadership, to the playmaking "mack" ILB role in Pittsburgh's 3-4 D. He could be one of the key players in a revitalized D for many years to come.

Anyway, here's a highlight video that just adds to my excitement. Enjoy -- until we get back shortly to politics.

Labels: , ,

Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

  • I know very little about football, but I've been in bars all over this great nation and on many other continents. And what I find interesting is that the Steelers would have to be called "America's team." People like (Hell: love!) them everywhere. Meanwhile, the Raiders have for years done this stupid "Raiders' Nation" PR stunt. Now I couldn't care less about the Steelers, but I think there are two cool things about this. One is that the name of the team is a reference to unions. Union yes! (Oakland could have been the Ship Builders, which would have been cool too.) The other is that the people don't allow PR campaigns to move them as much as many thing. (It is probably helped by the fact that Al Davis was such a jerk, whose legacy of political wrangling and team moves still hurts the team today in the Bay Area.)

    See: the article is about politics. Everything is about politics!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:41 PM  

  • This time of year, I'm usually starting to get real hungry for some football. It seems like the season is just too damn short. The baseball and NBA seasons seem to go on and on forever, but NFL and college football seems to come and go in a flash.
    Fortunately, this year, while I await the football season, something is coming up that I anticipate even more than American football: the World Cup. Should be a blast!

    By Blogger Marc McDonald, at 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home