Saturday, May 02, 2015

Gazpacho: "Golem" (live -- from Night of the Demon)

By Michael J.W. Stickings 

I'll start this post the same way I started my last two posts (here and here) about this incredible band:

One question I get a lot is, "What's your favorite band from Norway?" I always reply, "Gazpacho, of course. They're amazing. Not just my favourite Norwegian band but one of my favorite bands period. If you've never heard them, you're really missing out."

Okay, I've never gotten that question. But the rest is true.

I love Gazpacho more than ever.

They've released eight studio albums. The first three are good, if somewhat derivative (as they were still finding their voice), but the five since -- Night (2007), Tick Tock (2009), Missa Atropos (2010), March of Ghosts (2012), and Demon (2014) -- are simply astounding, each one a masterpiece, each one a brilliant conceptual work, all together marking this band, straddling themes and genres, as one of the leading voices in progressive, or more specifically post-progressive, music. This is the sort of run of excellence that puts them up there with Porcupine Tree and Anathema. Yes, they're that good.

Night of the Demon, a live CD/DVD recorded at the band's April 12, 2014 concert at De Boerderij in Zoetermeer, the Netherlands, was released last Monday. My copy is on the way, but from what I've heard -- including this track, from March of Ghosts, my favourite of their albums -- it's exceptional, as expected. And a new studio album is due this fall.

Seriously, get to know this band. Enjoy!

Gazpacho - Night of the Demon - Golem from Kscope on Vimeo.

Labels: ,

Bookmark and Share

1 Comments:

  • I've been doing these morning music posts for a month or two. I try to mix things up and not be too boring. I had forgotten what great resources you both are. This is excellent. I'll definitely do something with these guys. It's so rare to get both substance and style. Thanks!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home